Aalto University (Finland)
The focus is the durability of the material wood against weather, when it is a part of load bearing facade element.
In the first part the presentations are forming a stepwise process from the
- selection of the surface structure and quality - tangential or radial wood and density or growing speed of the wood
- selection of raw material species; conifer (spruce, pine, larch, douglas-fir, oregon pine) or hardwood (oak, etc.)
- timing of the harvesting
- storing the logs before sawmilling
- selection of the production method of the lamellas - sawing the profiles; small size and short pieces, gluing the profiles using small size and short lamellas or gluing first glulam using tangential sawed lamellas and ripsawing the glulam beam in form of final lamellas -7 weather-resistance of glue line
- influence of drying method of the wood to the durability
In the second part selected cases are studied including
- options for the architecture and construction design; straight or wavy surfaces
- elementation of premanufactured building parts
- fixing façade lamellas on the elements
- surface coating options; priming, transparent or pigment coating
- maintenance cycle
Submit an abstract to this mini-symposium here.